Especially students face situations like, not having enough pocket money to buy books when they see Crossword or Landmark. This situation is universal and Mumbai is not an exception. But as Mumbai is recognized as a city of dreams, this place doesn’t fail to provide a solution to this issue. This city simply provides second-hand bookstores, which helps bibliophiles like you, feed your brains even with limited amount of money.
These second-hand books not only save your money but they also form an invisible bond between you and the one who has read the book before you. You might not know the person but you enter into the world which has already been explored by another book lover in a different way than you would ever do. So, let us introduce you to some of the best Mumbai’s second-hand book shops!
1. City book center, AndheriInstead of finding pirated copies of popular books, you will find particularly first and second-hand copies of books. The shop owner Pramod Bodade himself is an avid reader, who has always drawn a distinction by keeping some collection of classic books from the 20th century. While Dan brown is available everywhere, you will find some classic authors like Pearl Buck, Henry James, Philip Roth and Marathi literature here.
Address: Shop No.5, Sukhmani Building, Junction of S.V. Road & V.P. Road, Near Archies Gallery V.P. Road, Shree Ram Nagar, Andheri West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400058
2. Smokers Corner, FortVisit this place and you will realize how valuable even Rs 20/- are! If you are not specifically looking for latest releases then this is a right place for you. It was Suleman Botawala who started this store with few books and after his death his son handles the shop to keep his father’s memories alive. Back issues of Rolling Stone’s international editions for Rs 10, English and American classics Rs 30 and contemporary novels are all stocked here. Spend a little time and you will certainly find yourself a book that you could have wanted since years.
Address: No. 7, Botwala Building, P.M. Road, Kala Ghoda, Fort, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001
3. N Books, BandraSearching for Indian literature? This place will help you find some of your favourite books. It also has a huge collection of cookbooks and also and extensive range of children’s books. For mystery and thriller lovers, you will find ‘Agatha Christie shelf’ here. The bestselling books range from Rs 100/- to around Rs 150/-. The owner Nasir Shaikh has also started a branch of this bookstore in New Bombay at Vashi.
Address: N/books, Shop No. G-5, Rizvi House, 34/ 35 Hill Road, Bandra (West), Mumbai - 400050
4. The New and Secondhand book shop, KalbadeviThe oldest second-hand bookstore in Mumbai. This shop, unimaginatively, started in 1905 by Jamalbhai Ratansey! And now is grandson Sultan K Vishram handles the ownership of the store. It has two cramped floors of shelves, sorted dutifully according to the subject matter. These range from poetry to international politics, with many stops in between. This place is quite popular amongst foreigners also who worship art and culture. There is an immense range of English and American drama, poetry and what not!
Address: 526, Kalbadevi Road, Kalbadevi, Mumbai - 400002, Near Bank of India
5. Victoria Book Centre and DVD Library, MahimAgain an old bookstore, which has been running since 1938. Started by N.A. Merchant, now his son and daughter handle the shop. This place provides you ample of books in various categories from self-help to health, from romance to suspense! Everyone loves a discount, right? There is a special shelf of ‘Rs 50/- books’. More than that, you will find bestsellers and new arrivals at around 50% discount here. Tempting, ain’t it?
Address: 112, L. J. Road, Next to Sitaladevi Temple, Mahim West, Mahim, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400016
We hope that this list helps you buy more books to feed knowledge to yourself in a little cost. Happy reading!
Written by Medini Kajarekar
Walking through the pages to find home in words.