Let us take a tour of the efforts that the Uttar Pradesh Government has taken for the upliftment of this region:
- The recent drought conditions that had struck Bundelkhand had left the place devastated. Due to the acute water shortage problem, the people were starving due to hunger and lack of food, and water. But under the leadership of Akhilesh Yadav, a ray of hope has been generated within the minds of the people.
- The state government has provided food grains, as well as relief materials, to the drought affected regions. Good quality food has been provided. The number of Antyodaya beneficiaries is approximately 2 lakhs. Each of these families would receive 10kg flour, 5 litres of mustard oil, 1 kg of ghee, 5 kg chana dal, and 25 kg potato and 1kg milk powder. Due to these measures, a huge population of Bundelkhand has been prevented from facing starvation.
- Also, recently an online portal has been launched for the Bundelkhand region, the online link is (http://bundelkhand.in/portal/). With the help of this portal, one can view the latest details and happenings of the Bundelkhand region.
|CM Akhilesh Yadav launched the solar -powered|
water planning in Charkhari, Mahoba district
- To eliminate the drought condition permanently, an initiation of 100 ponds restoration scheme has been established by the government. This will at a later stage improve the situation of irrigation for the lands. Each pond will approximately store 60 million cubic meters of water. The state government has aimed to finish the construction of the ponds before the arrival of the monsoons so that during the rainy season water could be easily stored in the ponds.
- Measures like using up the solar energy to eliminate drinking water problems are worth appreciating. Already the state has a dearth of water and if the solar energy can generate drinking water then it is sure that Bundelkhand will never face drought in the future.
- Under the ‘Samajwadi Pension Scheme’, more people must be brought under it, as stated by the UP government so as to eliminate poverty up to some extent. Those who are financially weak can at least have a little amount of money for their survival. All women are also being brought under this scheme.
- An amount of Rs.40 crores has been issued so as to establish new hand-pumps in the Bundelkhand region. Also, Rs.200 crores have been issued so as to overcome the water crisis.
- The installation of hand-pumps in the Bundelkhand district has increased from 2560 to 3226. These hand pumps are to be installed with a total amount of Rs. 21.57 crore. Steps have also been taken to ensure that the water can be equally distributed in all the parts of the region.
For providing drinkable water to people of #Bundelkhand, @UPGovt is installing 3226 handpumps. pic.twitter.com/JiYWC8UWKJ— CM Office, GoUP (@CMOfficeUP) April 15, 2016
- Under the MGNREGS (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme) the number of workdays has been increased from 100 to 150 in the Bundelkhand region so as to increase the payment of the working labors.
- Not only for the citizens of Bundelkhand but also for the stray animals and cattle, the government has issued an amount of Rs.1 crore for their fodder supply.
- The CM of Uttar Pradesh, Akhilesh Yadav also met Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India and sought more funds from the central BJP Government to help the drought-hit areas.
- The state government has also established the basic facilities so that Bundelkhand rises up in terms of development. Road projects are being undertaken, irrigation projects are being initialized, village electrification is being done and solar power projects are being encouraged.
- It is remarkable to see that Akhilesh Yadav has made 5 visits to Bundelkhand in the past two months, to personally administer the relief work being undertaken which no other Chief Minister has done before.