|Image credit: swachhbharat.mygov.in|
This campaign has various kinds of objectives which need to be fulfilled in order to make Swachh Bharat Abhiyan a success. The Ministry of Urban development has been given the responsibility to implement this drive in urban areas and the Ministry of Drinking water and Sanitation has been assigned to implement it in rural areas. Few objectives are enlisted below.
- Separate toilets must be constructed for every household. Till date many households in the rural areas do not have a separate toilet. Due to this reason the problem of open defecation still persists which is absolutely not a contributing factor towards this mission.
- The solid waste management mechanism should be carried out very effectively otherwise it may pose a big sanitary problem. Modern facilities must be employed to ensure effective waste management system.
- General awareness and education should be spread among the public regarding health and sanitation.
- Public dustbins should be provided at every location so that wastes are not thrown out here and there. Also the maintenance of the public bin is a great concern. Most of the time it is seen that the dustbins are overflowing and the wastes are being thrown outside.
- Heavy fines should be imposed on the people who litter the place otherwise if the fines are quite low it will hardly affect the public.
- The private sector should entirely take over the sanitation sector in order to achieve greater success in terms of sanitation.
Article by Anisha Dutta
She is a content evangelist who believes that the Science of today is the Technology of tomorrow.
She can be reached at https://twitter.com/Anisha_Dutta29